HTML Specs and Style
- The World Wide Web Consortium (w3.org) defines the HTML standard.
- The Bare Bones Guide To HTML has a list of all the HTML tags
- Composing Good HTML covers stylistic issues of writing HTML; what is good HTML and what isn't.
- Special Characters in HTML - table of special characters and the codes used to create them
- Tidy is a neat tool for cleaning up HTML.
- HTML Validator (w3.org) - see if your HTML meets web standards.
Web Design Software and HTML Editors
There are hundreds of programs available for web design and HTML. A number of freeware and shareware programs can be found on Versiontracker. You can also search Google for web design software and HTML editors.
Or try one of these:
- Dreamweaver, a complete site design and management package. HTML editor with WYSIWYG and source code editing control, syntax checker, XML support, color picker, support for cascading style sheets and DHTML, and more.
- Coda is an elegant site design package for the Mac, with both graphic design tools and a raw code editor. Plus it comes with electronic versions of several reference books.
- TextMate for the Mac - an excellent all-around text editor, with syntax highlighting for many programming and design languages, including HTML.
- Liquid FX, a web editor for Windows
Forums and Discussion Groups
- Webmaster World has an excellent set of forums for web design, programming, e-commerce, marketing, and much more.
- There are a number of Usenet newsgroups (comp.infosystems.www.*) for discussion of HTML and web design.